What to do if I read that metformin causes diarrhea but I have constipation. Doe's anyone have the same problem and what do they do?

Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr

In brief: Treat the constipati

Diarrhea is a common symptom of metformin but doesn't happen to everyone.
Treat the constipation by increasing water intake, sit the commode for 15-20min after each meal. If no bowel movement one day then take an enema the next morning. Add fiber in only if you are taking adequate water; see your physician about other meds that may be causing the constipation.

In brief: Treat the constipati

Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr

In brief: Constipation

Diarrhea can occur in 53.
2% of people taking Metformin. The Drugs.Com site does not list constipation as a side effect for Metformin. The first question I would ask is: how much water do you drink per day? What is your dietary fiber intake? How physically active are you? If you are not hydrating well - then do so. Exercise regularly and ^ fiber intake.

In brief: Constipation

Diarrhea can occur in 53.
Dr. Adam Smith