I have a diabetic friend. He wants to eat vegetarian.How to do when everything vegetarian is basically carbs?

Emily Lu
In brief: More optimistic note
I think that it is possible to be a vegetarian and a diabetic since leafy vegetables and beans generally are low-starch.
However, i agree with the comments above: your friend should still talk to a dietitian to make sure that they're eating enough low-starch foods and still getting all their essential nutrients. One way to give freedom to your meals will be used the Insulin based on carbohydrates.

In brief: More optimistic note
Emily Lu
Emily Lu
Answer assisted by Emily Lu, Medical Student
Dr. Shalin Shah
Vegan diets have been shown to be better than the standard ADA diet in one randomized trial. Here is a review: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20425575
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: Agree w/ Dr. Pizzo
Agree with dr. Pizzo.
Be sure that it is a dietician (who has taken tests and has a license issued by the state in which he or she practices) and not just a "nutritionist" (who is unlicensed and has no state regulated training or testing.).

In brief: Agree w/ Dr. Pizzo
Agree with dr. Pizzo.
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Albert Pizzo
In brief: Vegetarian
Your friend has to have a long talk with his doctor or dietician prescribing the diet to be sure it is healthy for him. With diabetes one does not have the leeway to try different diets without professional assistance.

In brief: Vegetarian
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Steven Seres