I have a diabetic friend. He wants to eat vegetarian.How to do when everything vegetarian is basically carbs?

Emily Lu

In brief: More optimistic note

I think that it is possible to be a vegetarian and a diabetic since leafy vegetables and beans generally are low-starch.
However, i agree with the comments above: your friend should still talk to a dietitian to make sure that they're eating enough low-starch foods and still getting all their essential nutrients. One way to give freedom to your meals will be used the Insulin based on carbohydrates.

In brief: More optimistic note

Emily Lu
Emily Lu
Answer assisted by Emily Lu, Medical Student
Dr. Shalin Shah
Vegan diets have been shown to be better than the standard ADA diet in one randomized trial. Here is a review: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20425575
Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Agree w/ Dr. Pizzo

Agree with dr. Pizzo.
Be sure that it is a dietician (who has taken tests and has a license issued by the state in which he or she practices) and not just a "nutritionist" (who is unlicensed and has no state regulated training or testing.).

In brief: Agree w/ Dr. Pizzo

Agree with dr. Pizzo.
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Vegetarian

Your friend has to have a long talk with his doctor or dietician prescribing the diet to be sure it is healthy for him. With diabetes one does not have the leeway to try different diets without professional assistance.

In brief: Vegetarian

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo