Has anyone ever falsely been diagnosed with diabetes. I had a fasting lab done and my sugar was 271.?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

That's why we never diagnosed diabetes on just one lab result.
You need to repeat it or do another test to confirm the diagnosis. Lab error can always happen (maybe the technician had a bad day) but this is too important to make any assumption. Go see your doctor for another lab draw.

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Maybe but doubt it

Single measures never been indicative of a confirmed disease unless a host of other findings are present.
You should talk with your physician about repeating the test along with an A1c measurement if risks for diabetes are present.

In brief: Maybe but doubt it

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
One definition is a blood sugar anytime of >200.
Dr. Andrew Malinchak

In brief: Diagnosing diabetes

I'm sure it has occurred before, but with a blood sugar that high, fional, you should go see your doctor.

In brief: Diagnosing diabetes

Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine