What can be done for a 7 year old with a swollen lymph node?

Usually is benign. Lymph nodes are located throughout the body & generally noticeable in exposed areas like the neck. They are usually pea sized at rest and enlarged when stimulated by bug bites,dermatitis, drainage or infection. They rarely can become damaged by infection & to golf ball size &need drainage or removal. Most enlarge and later shrink back down within a 3 wk cycle unless chronically stimulated.
See your doctor. This is a problem that requires a face-to-face meeting with your doctor. In that meeting, your doctor will listen to you, perform a throrough examination and possibly order labs or other tests. Based on this information, he/she will be able to tell you what's wrong and what to do about it.