I have c.O.P.D. How do I tell if it's emphysema or not?

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: On a CT scan

The best way to tell if you have emphysema is to get a cat scan of the lungs.
That way, you can see the destruction of the lung tissue. That said, i'm not sure it is absolutely necessary to find out if you have emphysema or chronic bronchitis (the two components of copd). The treatments are basically the same. Save yourself the radiation exposure...

In brief: On a CT scan

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Michael Sparacino

In brief: See your doctor

This is a problem that requires a face-to-face meeting with your doctor. In that meeting, your doctor will listen to you, perform a throrough examination and possibly order labs or other tests.
Based on this information, he/she will be able to tell you what's wrong and what to do about it.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Michael Sparacino
Dr. Michael Sparacino
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine