Is a pulmonary embolism a type of chronic illness/condition?

Usually acute. There can be some chronic recurring findings and recurrent dvt, but most acute pe gets treated to prevent chronicity. There are some long term impacts on the damaged lungs, and on the affected leg(s).
Pulmonary embolism. We usually consider pulmonary embolism (from blood clots) as a single event in which it is part of the workup to discover the cause and treat it; for example, deep vein thrombosis can cause pulmonary emboli and we would obviously treat the underlying issue. There are causes for pulmonary emboli that are difficult to determine and or difficult to treat; in these cases, pulmonary emboli can be chron.