There is an insect bite on my hand and it swelled up my whole fist. What should I use to reduce the swelling?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Ice & elevation

Ibuprofen & an antihistamine like fexofenadine (allegra) may give some additional relief.

In brief: Ice & elevation

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Several things

You can ice the area or use a cool pack.
You can elevate th hand above the level of the heart. You can try an antihistamine if you beleive this is an allergice type reaction with itching. However, an insect bite that causes the entire fist to swell may be signs of infeciton. Is there reddness, streaking, fever, heat at the site, or other symptoms. You may need to be seen quickly by a doctor.

In brief: Several things

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine