Shoulder to neck pain plus numbness of thumbs. What could this be?

Pinched nerve. Neck pain that runs down the arm with or without numbness and tingling sounds like a pinched nerve in the neck. This is usually caused by a protruding disc or bone spur touching one of your spinal nerves as it leaves your neck. This can often improve on it's own with rest and anti-inflammatories, but if your pain lasts greater than one week or gets worse see your physician.
Neck Strain. It sounds as if have a neck strain or possibly even arthritis in the neck causing the nerve to be compressed in some manner by the disk in your neck. Similiar symptoms can also be caused by an impingement of the nerve in the shoulder, albeit less likely if it is in both thumbs. You may need an mri, or an EMG for further testin so see your physician to evaluate these potentially serious symptoms.