I have a splinter on my hand that I got yesterday, I woke up today and its red around the splinter, ?

Holly Barth
General Practice

In brief: Remove splinter

Your body senses a foreign object and is attacking the site.
Try to get the splinter out with a clean tweezer if you can. If you notice the redness spreading or if there is fluid draining from the site, see your doctor to get this evaluated.

In brief: Remove splinter

Holly Barth
Holly Barth
Answer assisted by Holly Barth, Medical Student
Dr. Donald Vierling
Also, make certain that your tetanus preventio is up to date. If pus is present, have a culture and sensitivity study done.
Dr. John Washburn

In brief: Local irritation

It's not common for infection to occur in such a short period of time.
The redness is most likely a local immune response to the foreign body. If this worsens, spreads out or streaks or begins to drain then it should be seen.

In brief: Local irritation

Dr. John Washburn
Dr. John Washburn
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine