3 doctors weighed in:
Is there anything to detoxify our respiratory systems after we burned plastic cutlery container on top of wood stove?
3 doctors weighed in

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Family Medicine
2 doctors agree
In brief: Fresh air
Burning plastic can emit fumes that are noxious to the respiratory system.
Some plastics, such as polyethylene (saran wrap, etc.), when burned emit formaldehyde fumes. In most situations, plenty of fresh air is all that is needed. If one has significant symptoms (persistent cough, shortness of breath), then one should seek medical attention with their doctor.

In brief: Fresh air
Burning plastic can emit fumes that are noxious to the respiratory system.
Some plastics, such as polyethylene (saran wrap, etc.), when burned emit formaldehyde fumes. In most situations, plenty of fresh air is all that is needed. If one has significant symptoms (persistent cough, shortness of breath), then one should seek medical attention with their doctor.
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
23 years in practice
1M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors