For some reason the top part of my ear is not healing right due to a piercing what should I do?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Remove, replace
I agree that pierced earrings should be removed if inflammation or infection.
A derm or ENT physician can tell if the abnormality in the skin is due to reaction to the metal (even if expensive earrings) or to infection or both. Please remember that a piercing is forever, so think through the risks and costs of the procedure and the 'adornments' before proceeding.

In brief: Remove, replace
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dermatology
In brief: Antibiotic
Remove the piercing, use disinfectant, apply a topical antibiotic (ie: polysporin, (bacitracin and polymyxin) neosporin, bacitracin).
If not better go see your doctor for an oral antibiotic. The hole may close and require repiercing but do not repierce or wear an earring until the infection has completely cleared.

In brief: Antibiotic
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology
In brief: Remove piercing
It may be infected.
Without seeing it the safest approach would be to remove the piercing and use antibiotic cream. If it persists for q few days you may prescition cream or rarely oral antibiotics.

In brief: Remove piercing
It may be infected.
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dermatology
In brief: Ear piercing wound
You need to see a physician, such as ent, plastic surgeon or dermatologist.
There may be an infection if it is not healing, or an allergic contact dermatitis. If the cartilage gets infected, it can get serious and you may need special antibiotics for a while. The ear can get very painful red and swollen very quickly. See a doctor right away. Don't sleep on that side.

In brief: Ear piercing wound
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dr. Marsha Davis