My sudden breakout of acne could possibly be just a staff infection. What is the difference?

Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dermatology

In brief: Acne vs. staph

Acne usually does not innoculate new areas as it is not a contagious infection but an inflammatory follicle condition that involves bacteria that break down oils into inflammatory fatty acids.
Staphylococcus (staph) aureus bacterial infection of the follicles can spread by towels, picking, scratching, etc. It may need an antibiotic to eradicate it. See a dermatologist.

In brief: Acne vs. staph

Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology

In brief: Bacteria

A staph infection would be an infection of the hair follicles and be covered by a post scabs.
This will require treatment with antibiotics and not respond to acne products. There will be no blackheads or whiteheads. I usually use internal antibiotics for staph infections. This is far more common in men because of shaving. Acne will small pimples to cysts.

In brief: Bacteria

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried