My sudden breakout of acne could possibly be just a staff infection. What is the difference?

Acne vs. staph. Acne usually does not innoculate new areas as it is not a contagious infection but an inflammatory follicle condition that involves bacteria that break down oils into inflammatory fatty acids. Staphylococcus (staph) aureus bacterial infection of the follicles can spread by towels, picking, scratching, etc. It may need an antibiotic to eradicate it. See a dermatologist.
Bacteria. A staph infection would be an infection of the hair follicles and be covered by a post scabs. This will require treatment with antibiotics and not respond to acne products. There will be no blackheads or whiteheads. I usually use internal antibiotics for staph infections. This is far more common in men because of shaving. Acne will small pimples to cysts.