I have really fair skin and I am going to the beach. What is the best way to protect myself from the sun?

David Miller
In brief: Sunscreen and cloth
The best way to protect yourself from the sun is to wear a sunscreen with at least spf 15 or higher (if you're fair, 30-45+ is better) and to cover up with a hat and clothing.
If you're in the water, re-apply your sunscreen often; even if it is "water proof" it will wash off when you go in for a swim.

In brief: Sunscreen and cloth
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Mike Bowman
Get a sun umbrella as well. There are lots of great swim shirts for men and women available the are comfortable in the water and give great sun protection that won't wear off. Look for "UPF 50" or above. There are many great places/names to shop Coolibar, Columbia, Solumbra, and others.
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dermatology
In brief: Many ways
Start by visiting the skin cancer foundation website www.
Skincancer.Org. Here you will find very useful information about the dangers of tanning, how to protect yourself and how to be safe when being in the sun. Remember tanning is not part of a healthy lifestyle!

In brief: Many ways
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani