My one month old has an indention in the back of his head from laying on his back. Will he need to wear one of those helmets to help reshape his head?

In brief: Doubt need

Posterior flattening has become more common since the back to sleep campaign in the 90's.
It tends to resolve as the kid begins to sit and spend less time on their back.Recent data shows many helmeted kids din no better than those without.

In brief: Doubt need

Dr. Powlin Manuel
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Not necessarily!

Good afternoon, indention on the back of head in a one month-old baby is nothing to worry about.
It is unusual that they will need to wear helmets to help to reshape the head. In my forty years of seeing children, given enough time, they shape up without any help. Please consult your pediatrician, as rarely conditions such as porencephaly can present with abnormal shape to the head.

In brief: Not necessarily!

Dr. Powlin Manuel
Dr. Powlin Manuel
Dr. Jonathan Jassey