I had a balloon sinoplasty, septoplasty and turbinate reduction. What's the likelihood that all of my cilia are gone? What's that mean &can they regro

Dr. Douglas Dedo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Cilia are intact!

Turbinate reduction and sinuplasty do not reduce the cilia.
In fact, by establishing drainage the cilia can work more efficiently to drain the sinuses!

In brief: Cilia are intact!

Dr. Douglas Dedo
Dr. Douglas Dedo
Dr. Jason Bloom
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Cilia Still Intact

After a balloon sinuplasty procedure, you are widening the normal sinus drainage pathways, but you are not significantly damaging the cilia, which are located throughout the nasal lining.
Depending on how the turbinate reduction was handled, you can preserve cilia in this location too. The cilia are the normal "mucus eacalator" which help to sweep out dust and bacteria from inside the nose.

In brief: Cilia Still Intact

Dr. Jason Bloom
Dr. Jason Bloom
Dr. Steven Seres