Top meds for: chronical dissociative disorders?

Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: None approved

If bipolar, standard bipolar treatments, if depressed i try to pick something like zoloft or Paxil to treat depression and ptsd.
If self-harming, i add in Hydroxyzine 20-25 mg up to four times a day to decrease the frequency of the thoughts and the intensity of the urges. If there is an underlying ptsd with true psychosis in addition to the psuedopsychosis i add in an atypical or typical anti-psychotic as indicated. With generalized anxiety disorder I use buspar (buspirone). Panic anxiety is treated in the standard fashion. Dissociative crises are treated by an increase in the antipsychotic if there is one on board or by adding in an anti-psychotic if one is not already being used. Remember however that psychotherapy by a trained and experienced psychotherapist is absolutely necessary in this condition. The therapist must have experience in long term in working with dissociative disordered individuals. There are entirely too many types of therapy and a broad mixture of therapies that have to be added in together to treat a condition this complex. It is not a situation for amateurs. The worst thing you could do would be to treat with a clinician who does not even believe in this condition. Also, make sure that your therapist has had supervised treatment of di d in the course of their training or career. Best wishes and good luck to you. My experience is that d id patients thrive in therapy and do very well. I greatly admire their sense of survival their creativity, their ingenuity, and their deep underlying sense of right and wrong as well as justice. I have learned as much or more from them as they have learned from me.

In brief: None approved

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
superb info
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Dissociative D/O's

Pharmaceuticals are not the primary treatments for dissociative disorders -- psychotherapy is.
When needed for specific symptoms like depression, anxiety, and psychosis, the appropriate medications can be given. Dissociation can come from many sources; very commonly from previous abuse experiences which need help and working through. Meds can be part of comprehensive treatment, but not primary.

In brief: Dissociative D/O's

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. William Forsythe