After 2 sleep studies, my husband was diagnosed with moderate obstructive sleep apnea. Is it standard for a physician to prescribe cpap without talking with the patient?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Informed Consent

is a dialogue about a proposed medical treatment's nature, consequences, harms, benefits, risks, and alternatives, including the option of no treatment.
And CPAP machines are no exception. Take care.

In brief: Informed Consent

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin

In brief: Not best policy

It really is best that the prescribing dr. interacts and explains you the treatment that they recommend.

In brief: Not best policy

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Patricia Mcgarry
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: CPAP-gold standard

The CPAP is the gold standard for treating sleep apnea-there are also appliances that can be made for those who can't wear a CPAP especially for mild to moderate cases.

In brief: CPAP-gold standard

Dr. Patricia Mcgarry
Dr. Patricia Mcgarry
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Wouldn't think so

The sleep studies might provide all the info for the diagnosis and recommended treatment, but it is expected that the md would examine the patient, and assess the existing presenting conditions and anatomy.
A baseline is then established, as well as a pt - doctor relationship. I would think this is unusual.

In brief: Wouldn't think so

Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Scott Diede
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Yes (unfortunately)

If your husband is uncomfortable with this and has questions, it would be reasonable for you to ask to schedule an appointment to discuss.
Perhaps your questions could be answered by a nurse, respiratory technician or another health care provider. I hope your husband feels better.

In brief: Yes (unfortunately)

Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Uncommon

It would be appropriate for the sleep specialist who conducted the sleep studies to discuss treatment options including CPAP with the patient.

In brief: Uncommon

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Eric Weisman