When I go to the doctor, my otherwise normal blood pressure spikes high. What can I do to lower it at the doc?

Dr. Bart Denys
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: High Blood pressure
High blood pressure is an abnormal response to stress.
So it's not normal to have a high BP at the doc. The body doesn't care what type of stress...Emotional, fatigue, alcohol, pain etc. Early on BP will be normal at home, while sleeping etc. But gradually it will go up and be high most of the time. The "white coat" excuse is way overused and rarely a diagnosis. Most just have high bp.

In brief: High Blood pressure
Dr. Bart Denys
Dr. Bart Denys
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Relax
You may suffer from "white coat hypertension".
This condition is where a patient upon visiting a doctor has a higher than normal pressure due to stress and anxiety. If this situation occurs for you, your doctor can ask you to check your blood pressure away from his office to ensure that have a normal blood pressure.

In brief: Relax
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Find new doc
Just kidding. If the blood pressure is only up when you see the doctor, then you probably have white coat syndrome.
You just get tense when you see the doctor. But I am always sceptical of that diagnosis. Make sure that the blood pressure done elsewhere is correctly done with proper equipment. Otherwise, if it is always normal elsewhere, don't worry about it.

In brief: Find new doc
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine