Which type of high blood pressure medication would be best to combine with a low dosage of beta blocker?

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Any

The low dosage of beta blocker would not especially influence my choice of a second agent except for the fact that medications like verapamil or Diltiazem also slow the pulse as does the beta blocker. So one would want to make sure that the beta blocker has not significantly lowered the pulse.

In brief: Any

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Louis Grenzer
2 comments
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Diuretics are a great second line agent to beta blockers.
Dr. Bennett Werner
I agree with both Dr. Grenzer and Dr. Malinchak.
Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide)

Without knowing more about you, especially your renal function, allergies, and other medical conditions, it's hard to make a good recommendation for you.
But in general, a mild diuretic such as hydrochlorothiazide (hctz) is usually a good choice - either by itself or in combination with a beta blocker.

In brief: HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide)

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine