My teen was persribed Zoloft (sertraline) (50mg) for OCD by gp. Is it safe to stay on valerian (200) hops (100) and passionflower (100) as persribed by homeopath?

Dr. Imad Khreim

In brief: V. Risky

These three homeopathic meds you mention are all hypnotic and sedating, they also work on serotonin and may interact with zoloft (sertraline) leading to the well known serotonin syndrome which can be very serious.
It is always "not a good idea" to have two professionals prescribe for the same problem ( with rare exceptions) . So wold suggest that you discuss all this with your prescribing physician.

In brief: V. Risky

Dr. Imad Khreim
Dr. Imad Khreim
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Please understand -- none of those herbal medicines are "homeopathic." They are made in material quantities, and I agree that combining them with Zoloft is not a good idea. Truly homeopathic remedies do not pose the same kinds of issues or dangers as mixing multiple CNS-active medicines does.
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Not homeopathic

Neither valerian, hops, or passionflower are homeopathic -- they're herbal medicines given in material quantity, and sedating to boot.
Interactions can happen that wouldn't happen with truly homeopathic remedies. Valerian can also interfere with certain liver enzymes that process zoloft; the others are not known to do this. None of these herbals is known to specifically help ocd. Zoloft (sertraline) is.

In brief: Not homeopathic

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
6 comments
The only benefit of a troubled young person seeing a homeopath is that these people are "caring", "unhurried" sweet-talkers. OCD is serious, cognitive-behavioral therapy and having the whole family learn new skills and tricks are usually extremely helpful. I wish you and Junior the best and am pleased that you were wise and brave enough to ask.
I've also known scientifically-minded homeopaths as has Dr. Pappas -- and I join her in expressing my grave concern that anyone practicing any school of medicine would offer these herbs in the face of grave emotional illness. Often the force of the homeopath's personality is itself therapeutic as Dr. Pappas has noted. And while I am not a psychiatrist, my hope is that someone capable will be able to guide Junior's recovery.