Is edta safe and without side effects? I hear it's good for clearing the arteries. I am 62 years, have rheumatoid arthritis and osteo arthritis.

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Controversial

Currently the one accepted indication for edta chelation is for lead and other heavy metal toxicity.
It is a very controversial treatment for other conditions including coronary artery disease. Most mainstream medical organizations do not advise this treatment. Organizations like acam which is an alternative medicine organization advocate its use. I do not recommend this myself.

In brief: Controversial

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Arnon Rubin