Just had a cardiac cath & dr said just minor 50% blockage & no stent needed. Confused 50% to me is a lot so what would be my next step to make 50% a 0%?

Dr. Christopher White
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: <50% is not blocked

Serious coronary blockages begin at 50%.
< 50% means mild blockage, atherosclerosis, that needs medical therapy , usually cholesterol lowering medications ( statins) to prevent progression of narrowing.

In brief: <50% is not blocked

Dr. Christopher White
Dr. Christopher White
Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Listen to your doc.

Risk of stenting is not trivial.
If 50% lesion is not causing any symptoms then treating it can only get you into trouble. Good on your doc for not doing something you did not need. Doc will probably recommend risk reduction with monitor of BP and lowering of cholesterol. If you smoke you should quit. Exercise will probably be recommended.

In brief: Listen to your doc.

Risk of stenting is not trivial.
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology