Have TMJ bad- taking anti-inflammatories. Still in pain- using heating pad. Pain in ear as well-- any suggestions to reduce pain? Am on soft diet.

Good start. You've done all the right things and since the pain is persisting you need to see a dentist or oral surgeon. Some of the next steps could include x-rays and/or special scan to the joint, prescibing muscle relaxants and maybe an occlusal splint. There are many causes for joint pain that must be determined before selecting the next step in your treatment.
Need diagnosis. It sounds like you will need some help from a dentist who can diagnose and treat your tmj. Talk with your dentist or see a specialist in orofacial or craniofacial pain.
Different things. Depending on duration of pain, try cold compress (less useful if pain longer term), alternating heat and cold compress application, sleeping on your back, getting half an hour aerobic exercise per day, alternating NSAID meds with tylenol, (acetaminophen) avoiding gum chewing or really hard foods, and gentle stretching exercises. If no help from these, see a tmd aware dentist for the next diagnostic steps.
TMJ Expert. You need evaluation and treatment by a TMJ expert. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.