My husband gets epidural shots for the pain in his back.Can the shots take aways his sex drive?

Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology

In brief: No

Epidural steroids are sometimes given for spinal disc disease.
Typically, a steroid preparation is given to the affected area. To the best of my knowledge, this procedure and the medication given should have no effect on sex drive. The symptoms that brought him to the doctor may be more likely to affect sex drive.(back pain).

In brief: No

Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Slade Suchecki
Per article in Journal of Pain, 74% of men using opioids for treatment of chronic pain have testosterone levels below the normal range - this may also be contributing factor to consider.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: Not the shots

Pain, pain medication, and depression all can cause diminished sex drive.

In brief: Not the shots

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. John Stork
Anesthesiology

In brief: Not really

Epidurals for back pain usually involve steroid injections, which should not affect sex drive.
The back pain itself may affect sex drive or performance, particularly of there is nerve involvement.

In brief: Not really

Dr. John Stork
Dr. John Stork
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology

In brief: Not that I've heard

I have not heard of an association between epidural steroid (glucocorticoid) and loss of libido.
Chronic pain can, however, cause depression (and other behavioral changes) and make sex painful. The steroids infected are different from anabolic (muscle building) steroids. Steroid refers to the chemical structure.

In brief: Not that I've heard

Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Rita Agarwal
Anesthesiology

In brief: They shouldn't

They shouldn't, however most epidural pain shots contain steroids and although the dose of steroids is low, it may be enough to effect his sex drive.
Chronic pain in and of itself can also decrease sex drive.

In brief: They shouldn't

Dr. Rita Agarwal
Dr. Rita Agarwal
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine