How is possible that I am allergic to cockroaches when I rarely see cockroaches in the first place?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Nocturnal critters

With cockroaches there's a big difference between seeing them rarely & never seeing them. Cockroaches are nocturnal insects that hide in the dark & come out at night.
If you have seen even one cockroach in your home assume that there are many more in the walls & under cabinets & baseboards. The keys to control are meticulous cleaning, sealing every food container & a good pest control company.

In brief: Nocturnal critters

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Gary Steven

In brief: It's everywhere

Cockroach is a common allergen, and lasts for years after the cockroaches are gone.
It seems to me that many people become sensitized to cockroach by spending a lot of time in old schools or office buildings, which may have had a cockroach problem in the past. However, a positive skin test doesn't mean cockroach is your problem - it's a problem only if you're still exposed to the allergen.

In brief: It's everywhere

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven