If your allergic to cats and then live with one is it possible to build up an immunity to them?

Dr. Paul Carter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No

But after extended exposure acute symptoms such as sneezing and runny nose give way to chronic symptoms such as nasal congestion and sinus pressure.

In brief: No

Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Gary Steven

In brief: No

The body can't sustain acute allergy symptoms for long periods of time; after living with a cat for months, you'll eventually stop the itching & sneezing.
But the inflammation then takes on a different form; people who continue to live with pets to which they are allergic are at high risk for chronic sinusitis and asthma, but they all say, "my cat doesn't bother me" because the sneezing went away.

In brief: No

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Peter Kurzweil