My moms big toenail fell off due to onychomycosis (fungus). How can she prevent the toenail from growing back with fungus again? No pills .

Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: Try Vick's

There is some evidence that applying vick's vapo-rub to the toenails nightly at bedtime may help keep fungus away and/or treat cases.
Rub a small amount of vick's on each toenail and under the nail nightly.

In brief: Try Vick's

Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry

In brief: Not guaranteed.

The reason you hear so many different treatments for toenail fungus is because there is no perfect, sure-fire treatment that works 100% of the time.
I've seen vaporub work, as well as other natural oil remedies, but rarely. You can also try laser therapy, antifungal creams, paints, or even oral medications if your doctor deems you healthy enough to take them.

In brief: Not guaranteed.

Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Libby Putnam

In brief: See beliw

As the nail grows back she needs to apply a topical liquid antifungal to the nail bed.

In brief: See beliw

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham