I have had chronic muscle pain in the back of both my thighs and sometimes calves for about 3 months. My cardiologist switched me from Lipitor to livalo (pitavastatin) without success. Any suggestions?

Dr. Ehsan Ansari
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Dose reduction

Statin medication such as Lipitor (atorvastatin) can cause muscle pain.
Sometimes lowering the dose can help. Coq10 200 mg taking twice daily helps. You can discuss this with your cardiologist if the pain persists.

In brief: Dose reduction

Dr. Rick Koch
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Periodic dosing

With Crestor or Livalo (pitavastatin) may be effective (1-2x/week) in alleviatng your muscle symptoms.

In brief: Periodic dosing

Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: Not the statin....

Your pains are unlikely to be from your cholesterol medicine.
I would go back to the Lipitor (atorvastatin) as it is proven to be a great medicine, it is now generic, and it has the best side effect profile of all the statins. When statins cause muscle pain it is usually in every muscle of the body and it gets worse every day until the med is stopped. If you could tolerate 3 months it's probably not the med.

In brief: Not the statin....

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine