I have bad pain in my toe joints on my left foot, no trauma brought this on, there is no swelling or redness. My ankle was the same the other week?

Gout? With no trauma and pain in joints particularly known for its' love of the big toe (halux), it could be uric acid crystals settling into joint. Age and diet related, so just a wild guess. Go to an md, there at least 2 medications that work for this ailment. Good luck! rule out rheumatoid arthritis.
Many possibilities. Your pain could be as a result of many different things including infection, metabolic conditions (gout), musculoskeletal or biomechanical abnormality and neurologic conditions (neuropathy). A thorough history and physical exam and possibly some laboratory and radiology exams are needed to determine the exact cause.