Trying to quit smoking, when i manage to for a day or so i feel depressed, gloomy, like i can't function right. I'm just kind of blah. Is that normal?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Not uncommon

The reason you feel that way is due to acute nicotine withdrawal.
If you can stop for awhile in several days those symptoms will go away. To reduce withdrawal you could use nicotine gum & slowly taper that, or make a blend of tobacco & smoking herbs & gradually reduce the amount of tobacco. A doc could prescribe zyban, (bupropion) an antidepressant that may also help reduce those symptoms. See my comment:.

In brief: Not uncommon

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
2 comments
Dr. Randy Baker
B vitamins, herbs like Rhodiola and acupuncture may also reduce these symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. Please do whatever you can to stop- before long those symptoms will go away and you will feel great. For more info on how to stop see http://www.smokefree.gov/ and http://whyquit.com/ Good luck!
Dr. Gregg Friedman
Gregg L. Friedman MD,Psychiatrist, Agrees
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Withdrawal

Many people experience mood changes.
Some people manage to tought it out, and sometimes it does get worse before it gets better. There are lots of community and online support groups that may help. Some folks find nicotine gum helpful at first, and there are even patches and other meds. Research shows most people who eventually quit, often try, try and try again. Sometimes counseling also helps.

In brief: Withdrawal

Many people experience mood changes.
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Ernest Bordini