I follow a vegan diet and have food allergies. What are some good options for eating out and/or at home?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: More infomation

To answer that question one would need to know the names of the foods to which you are allergic.

In brief: More infomation

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Andrew Murphy

In brief: Nutritionists

Given the potential restrictions in your diet b/c of being vegan and having food allergies one should consider consulting with a nutritionists to make sure a balanced and healthy diet is being consumed.
With such restrictions the potential for vitamin and mineral deficiencies is probably enhanced.

In brief: Nutritionists

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Michael P Vaughn

In brief: Allergy recipes

Go to www.Foodallergy.
Org for recipes that omit specific allergic foods. This is a great web site for those with food allergy, tell your friends with similar problems.

In brief: Allergy recipes

Go to www.Foodallergy.
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Dr. Michael Rothman

In brief: stop veganism

The long term effect of a low fat, vegan diet is malnutrition.
Used for a short time (4-6 weeks) a low fat diet can be employed for weight loss. However, the long lerm effects of low fat diets are miserable. A low fat - high carb diet will lead to high Insulin levels, high triglcyerides, low hdl, metabolic syndrome and finally high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease.

In brief: stop veganism

Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Seema Patel
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Phone apps

I agree with the foodallergy website but there are phone apps that can be used to find allergy friendly restaurants as well as vegan.
I also recommend calling restaurants ahead of time and speaking with the chef-this is at higher end restaurants rather than chains. For home, experiment with recipes; find the subsitutes you can use and put them in the recipe and spice it up. I do thi all the time.

In brief: Phone apps

Dr. Seema Patel
Dr. Seema Patel
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine