I have the flu. What can I do so my 2 yearold doesn't get it? I have heard of kids dying from it and now i'm super paranoid...

Dr. Joanne Peck

In brief: Oseltamivir

Two year olds should have flu vaccine every year, but it is too late to help much.
Your doctor can prescribe a preventive dose of oseltamivir, safe for your child and better as soon as possible. Healthy children usually recover just fine, but be careful if your child has asthma, etc. You are not paranoid if you call your doc--and next year, get him and you a flu shot! feel better soon.

In brief: Oseltamivir

Dr. Joanne Peck
Dr. Joanne Peck

In brief: Wash, Tamiflu, (oseltamivir)

Immunity develops about 2 wks after vaccination, there might be some benefit in getting him the shot now.
Tamiflu (oseltamivir) can be given to prevent (prophylaxis) acquiring the vaccine. Talk to your pediatrician to learn if he's a candidate for prophylaxis. Good hand washing, cleaning shared objects like phones, doorknobs, etc. Reduce his exposure- can he stay at grandma's while you're sick?

In brief: Wash, Tamiflu, (oseltamivir)

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Cindy Juster