I'm 29 my right eye became blurry in vesion suddenly, my doc tells my is is truamatical cataract, and i never had accident or surgery, how can this be?

Dr. David Chandler
Ophthalmology

In brief: Good question

There are some cases where cataract can develop from trauma with no known injury, and this is presumed to mean that the injury could have occurred at birth or that the injury is not remembered.
However, it is unusual for this type of cataract to suddenly worsen. There are cataracts that can progress very rapidly especially in young people not from any injury or any known cause at all.

In brief: Good question

Dr. David Chandler
Dr. David Chandler
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: Cataracts

If you have not had trauma and the cataract is only in one eye, the cause is unknown.
It may be genetic, due to some other medical reason. If the exam has not revealed a cause, it may just be you. Also steroid usage can cause cataracts. The other eye most likely will develop cataract as well. Observe for now, and when it affects your activities of daily living, consider surgery.

In brief: Cataracts

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Vicken Poochikian