My sons girlfriend is living with us. Now some of my pain meds and sleeping pills have disappeared.What now?

Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Be responsible

Pain medications and sleeping medications are controlled substances and require a high level of responsiblility.
When you expose those medications, others may take advantage of you. It is up to you to keep them in a safe place and out of sight. The issue of your son's girlfriend living with you is an issue your apparently have accepted. With the above, you will have to deal with it asw it is.

In brief: Be responsible

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Tough love

It appears that you have accepted a thief into your home.
I would be up front about the issue. A simple family meeting to review some ground rules would be in order. I have a simple second chance policy. If anything like that happens again I would contact the police and have both kids drug tested. If they refuse to abide by the house rules they are gone & sort out the legal mess on their own.

In brief: Tough love

Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr

In brief: Lock them up

I have my patient's put their medications in a locked box on top of the dresser in their bedroom. That way the only access to it is with a key.
If the box is broken into or disappears you will know right away. Hiding your meds is not a good idea as they will be found and you will drive yourself crazy trying to remember the last place you put them.

In brief: Lock them up

Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine