My mom is a smoker. And I sometimes get scared, so I throw away her cigarettes. Do you think that's helpful?

Dr. James Rotchford
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Generally not
Consider going to an alanon meeting to learn more about helping a family member with an addiction problem. It is scary to see a loved one "killing" oneself via an addiction.
Unfortunately, trying to control the behavior of someone who is addicted rarely works well long term outside of jails, etc. At www.Opas.Us/handouts I have some info for family members. They might be helpful.

In brief: Generally not
Dr. James Rotchford
Dr. James Rotchford
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
In brief: Probably Not
It is probably aggravating to her. Instead tell her how much you will miss her and you want her to be around for her grandchildren.
Calmly and dispassionately share scientific information with her on the negative effects and damage from cigarettes; then be supportive of any efforts she makes to reduce or quit. Do these things in little bits and pieces at a time so as not to be overwhelming.

In brief: Probably Not
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine