Is low vitamin d a result of cancer?

No. Low vitamin d levels are not caused by cancer. We get vitamin d from diet and from sun exposure. Use of sun screens or avoiding sun cuts down on vitamin d production, and if the diet doesn't have enough, vitamin d deficiency can occur. This is a very common issue. The level needed to prevent osteoporosis is higher than we used to think, so what used to be called normal is now low.
Not Typically. Low vitamin d concentrations are associated with poor vitamin d intake - from diet (mostly fortified milk) and supplements (usually multivitamins) and low sun exposure (10-15 min of sensible sun exposure without sunscreen in summer months). Since vitamin d primarily circulates as a hormone bound to proteins in some cases chronic illnesses can be associated with deficiency due to low amounts of binding protein.