My 22mo had his flu shot. Now, I have the flu. I didn't get a shot. How much risk is there that he can still catch it from me?

Dr. Tony Ho
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Depends on strain

It all depends on which strain you have and if that is included in the flu vaccine.
Also, it depends on how long ago your child had the vaccine; if it has been over 2 weeks, he should have a reasonable amount of immunity to the strains covered. I would advise religious hand washing and covering of your mouth around him until you have broken your fever for > 24 hours.

In brief: Depends on strain

Dr. Tony Ho
Dr. Tony Ho

In brief: Depends

The flu shot provides protection from 3 strains of flu per season, those judged as most likely to circulate in a season.
There are other strains that may circulate & routine office tests will not identify which strain u have.Providing your 22 mo with some tamiflu (oseltamivir) might be reasonable. If vaccinated> 2wks ago he may have some protection, but close prolonged exposure might overcome it.

In brief: Depends