I have sharp stabbing pain in my liver. Doctors just found a mass in my liver that's a benign tumor. Should a benign tumor be causing so much pain?

Dr. Tushar Patel
Radiology

In brief: It depends

It depends on the size &of the tumor and location.
If the tumor is located near the edge of the liver, it can irratate the liver capsule (i.e. Liver lining that has pain sensors). It can also cause pain if the tumor bleeds or ruptures. A smaller benign tumor would be less likely to cause symptoms than a larger tumor. You need more information fromon the type and size of liver tumor you have.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Tushar Patel
Dr. Tushar Patel
Dr. Michael Sparacino

In brief: Academic center

Have your primary care doctor refer you to a hepatologist, preferably in an academic center where experimental agents are more readily available.

In brief: Academic center

Dr. Michael Sparacino
Dr. Michael Sparacino
Dr. Jonathan Jassey