Been dealing with peripheral neuropathy for mths.. Visited several md's who give conflicting advice. See expert in am. Best questions to ask?

Dr. Michele Arnold
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Qs to ask your doc

Best questions to ask at your appt: 1.
What is the cause of my neuropathy? 2. Is it reversible? 3. Is it treatable? 4. Will this treatment actually heal the nerves or just alleviate my symptoms? 5. Will this get worse, and how fast? 6. Will this just cause pain, or will it limit my ability to walk, balance? 7. Am i at risk for amputation? 8. How do I take care of my feet?

In brief: Qs to ask your doc

Best questions to ask at your appt: 1.
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: See below

I would hope that the doctor would spend a fair amount of time asking you questions and reviewing your medical history.
There are over 200 causes of peripheral neuropathy and in about 3/10 case we do not know the cause. In the us, the 2 most common causes of peripheral neuropathy are diabetes and heavy alcohol intake. Meds, renal disease, toxins, infections, autoimmune diseases are also causes.

In brief: See below

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld