I'm 12 weeks pregnant. I had bleeding with vaginal and pelvic pain. I went to the ER and the ultra sound showed nothing wrong. But the doctor couldn't give me an answer. What should I do?

Dr. Wendy Askew

In brief: Possibilities...

Bleeding in the first trimester is not uncommon.
At the 12 week point, it could be some bleeding coming from the placental implantation, as it is developing/burrowing into the endometrium, it could also be from some sensitive cells ('friable') on the cervix, - these conditions wouldn't be seen by sonogram. Most impt: if ur baby is growing, has nl heart rate, - a miscarriage is very unlikely.

In brief: Possibilities...

Dr. Wendy Askew
Dr. Wendy Askew
Dr. Carolyn Thompson

In brief: Reassuring

If the ultrasound showed a normally developing 12 week embryo, that is a good sign.
Pain can be from a cyst in the ovary called the corpus luteum; it usually goes away by week 14. Bleeding can be from a tiny separation of the developing placenta. Most likely they got bloodwork. See your doc soon for follow up.

In brief: Reassuring

Dr. Carolyn Thompson
Dr. Carolyn Thompson
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO

In brief: Vaginal Bleeding

I agree with my colleagues answer and advice regarding your inquiry.
It is also not unusual to have some pelvic pressure or pain as your uterus grows and enlarges. A regular follow-up with your OB may be necessary. It may also be wise to avoid intercourse if you are having these symptoms.

In brief: Vaginal Bleeding

Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
Dr. Vikram Patel