Why do triplets have preterm labor?

Basic mechanics occ. Whether it contains triplets, one big baby or extra amniotic fluid, the uterine muscle can only stretch so far before it starts to contract. Similarly fibers holding the cervix closed can only withstand so much weight and pressure before it begins to thin and to open up. A similar thing might happen to a single amniotic sac these (contractions, dilating, bag breaking) can lead to labor, delivery.
1. The human uterus is design to allow the development of a single baby at term. Thus, even twin gestations are considered high risk pregnancies. By a matter of physics, in order to accomodate more than one developing baby, the uterus contracts leading to preterm labor.
Balloon uterus. Think of the triplet uterus as an overdistended balloon filled with water and active babies. It is bound to strecth to the point of no return and start contracting in response. Mechanical stretching is thus the reason for preterm birth in most triplets (average delivery at 32-34 weeks).
More pressure. Three babies take up more room than 1. The uterus is only designed to hold so much. As the triplets grow it soon gets to be "too crowded" the the uterus decides it is time to go. Same things happens with twins but typically that doesn't happen as early as triplets.