How long will I have to stay in the hospital after robotic da vinci hysterectomy?

Dr. Lisa Lepine
Gynecology

In brief: Generally < 24 hours

I do a lot of robotic surgery.
I find that most patients can go home later that day (about 4 to 6 hours after surgery) or the following morning. Once a woman is able to get up and walk around a bit, urinate, and keep a little food and liquid down, she is usually ready for discharge. Because robotic surgery involves only "key-hole" incisions, the majority of patients recover much more quickly.

In brief: Generally < 24 hours

I do a lot of robotic surgery.
Dr. Lisa Lepine
Dr. Lisa Lepine
Dr. Bruce Pierce
I agree. Greater than 90% of my robotic hysterectomy patients are ready to go home the same day as surgery
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen

In brief: It Depends

Your best answer is for you to ask your surgeon what it typical for his patients.
There are many variables, how healthy and fit you are, how routine or not routine your surgery is. Each operation like this is going to have the normal range of human variation. An exceptional patient could have surgery in the early morning and go home later that same day. Some might have to stay 2, 3, or 4 days.

In brief: It Depends

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Bariatrics

In brief: Hysterectomy

Your hospital stay is usually just one night.
In fact, some people will even go home the same day. There are also a percentage of people that will stay longer than one night. On average though, one night.

In brief: Hysterectomy

Dr. Gregg Nishi
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Dr. Carolyn Thompson

In brief: Short stay

Usually patients are home the same day or the next day after a robotic hysterectomy.

In brief: Short stay

Dr. Carolyn Thompson
Dr. Carolyn Thompson
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Short stay

Many women can go home within a few hours of a robotic hysterectomy.
Some women will require longer and may need to stay overnight. Almost all will have a lower risk for complications and will recover quicker than with abdominal, vaginal, and/or other laparoscopic routes of surgery.

In brief: Short stay

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham