I have a significant scoliosis. What is the best breast radiation treatment to avoid damaging the lungs?

Dr. Craig Davishoff
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Does not apply

This question deals with radiation oncology as far as i can tell based on the term 'radiation treatment'.
This is best asked to a radiation oncologist. If you are asking for how to assess scoliosis and minimize radiation to the lungs then a radiographic (x-ray) scoliosis series is best.

In brief: Does not apply

Dr. Craig Davishoff
Dr. Craig Davishoff
Dr. Nazar Golewale
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Ask the expert

Consult a radiation oncologist.

In brief: Ask the expert

Consult a radiation oncologist.
Dr. Nazar Golewale
Dr. Nazar Golewale
Dr. Robert Tyrrell
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: None

Scoliosis is a curvature of the spine and radiation does not correct that.
Radiation treatments are for specific malignant conditions.

In brief: None

Dr. Robert Tyrrell
Dr. Robert Tyrrell
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Let me explain

Talk to radio-therapist and tell him about about concern, I am sure he will address them for you.

In brief: Let me explain

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Rakesh Patel
Radiation Oncology

In brief: 3D Planning

External beam RT to the whole breast after lumpectomy can usually limit significant doses delivered to the lung tissue with modern techniques (i.
e; 3D planning or IMRT). With scoliosis, it is important to use proper immobilization devices during the simulation/mapping to assure reproducible daily alignment during the treatment. Another option (if early stage) is internal RT or brachytherapy.

In brief: 3D Planning

Dr. Rakesh Patel
Dr. Rakesh Patel
Dr. Steven Lengle
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: I don't know

Sorry, not my area of expertise.

In brief: I don't know

Sorry, not my area of expertise.
Dr. Steven Lengle
Dr. Steven Lengle
Dr. James Donaldson
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: X-rays from back

Shielding the breasts can be done with experienced pediatric technologists.
The x-rays should be taken with you facing the detector or film so the beam enters your back first and limits exposure to the breasts which are away from the x-ray tube source. Damage to the lungs is of less concern than exposure to the breasts.

In brief: X-rays from back

Dr. James Donaldson
Dr. James Donaldson