I had a a total thyroidectomy to remove a 3 CM malignant nodule. Do i need rai treatment? If i do, how do I protect my family? I have a 13 years old.

Dr. David Djang
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Probably so.

Assuming it was a 3cm papillary or follicular thyroid cancer, most physicians would advise you to have rai (i-131) at this point, as it will improve your chances of survival.
The center that gives you the rai should be able to explain the radiation safety precautions to you. It is important to remember that rai has been saving lives for over 6 decades and is given thousands of times per year.

In brief: Probably so.

Dr. David Djang
Dr. David Djang
Dr. Philip Kern
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: You need RAI

Yes, you need follow up by an endocrinologist who will likely give you rai.
This is proven to prevent recurrence of the thyroid cancer. You will be given instructions on how to be with your family, but the restrictions are not severe. The iodine is in your sweat and urine. It is like having the flu, and you ask your family not to get too close to you for a few days.

In brief: You need RAI

Dr. Philip Kern
Dr. Philip Kern
Dr. Vicken Poochikian