Why does my doctor keep saying again when he wants me to take a breath I know to do it when he moves the stethoscope anyway?

Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: Not everyone knows

When we listen to the lungs, we are listening for abnormal breath sounds and air movement.
It is necessary to take deep breaths in and out for the sounds for proper evaluation. Not everyone knows this; some people will take a deep breath and hold it, others breathe normally, others breathe in and out deeply only once. For this reason, some of us give specific instructions as a routine.

In brief: Not everyone knows

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology