What should I think about when traveling in the second trimester?

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Avoid if possible.

Travel in pregnancy is not a good idea in general, as far as I am concerned.
Emergencies tend to occur unpredictably and you don't want to be a thousand miles from home when they do. Stay put if you are pregnant!

In brief: Avoid if possible.

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Amy Herold

In brief: Labor risk

Traveling is usually safe until around 34 weeks.
If you have a placenta previa you should not travel late into the 2nd trimester as there is a risk of severe bleeding. If you have a history of preterm labor or early deliveries you may not want to take long airplane trips, an airplane is a bad place to have a premature baby. If you are on a long trip stretch every 2 hours to avoid blood clots.

In brief: Labor risk

Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Amy Herold