The right side of my mouth (upper and lower) is in severe pain. My teeth, gums, and jaw bone are hurting. What could be causing the problem? I havetmj

Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: We all have TMJ

Saying I have TMJ is like saying I have knee, it is a joint, you mean to say you believe you have tmd (temporomandibular disorder).
You say the r side upper & lower, perhaps it is a problem of your facial nerves on that side, neuralgia. Teeth, gums and bone? That does not sound like a joint disturbance. Many doctors mistakenly point to the TMJ as the culprit when they don't know what else to say.

In brief: We all have TMJ

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Andrew Rutman
Dentistry

In brief: See your dentist

You should see a general dentist and let them take x-rays and examine your mouth.
It could be tooth related or jaw related. Patients with TMJ problems can experience pain in the jaw and it may not be the teeth or gums that are the real problem, it may be the joint that is the real issue.

In brief: See your dentist

Dr. Andrew Rutman
Dr. Andrew Rutman
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Bruxism or..........

Without examining you and seeing x-rays of your teeth and jaw, there is no way to know for sure what the problem is.
If you have been under stress and clenching your teeth or suffer from bruxism, that could be the cause. However, it could be many other things, either individually or in combination. You need to see a dentist for a thorough evaluation.

In brief: Bruxism or..........

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Dinh Bui
Dentistry

In brief: Start with a splint

You may have occlusal interference and trauma on the right side that leads to neuromuscular problems.
Irregardless the cause of tmj, the splint is a good start to balance the muscle and the joint. A splint also helps to diagnose you have any other secondary problems. Once we get this balance, start and full mouth wax up and reconstruct your right side with crowns to establish optimal occlusion.

In brief: Start with a splint

Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. R Lee Hinson
Excellent advice
Dr. Vikram Patel