I've had very painful swollen ankles for about 4 yrs now the more i'm on my feet the worse they become, it is really limiting what i can do.

Dr. Kim Fagan
Sports Medicine

In brief: See Doctor

I agree with others-persistent ankle pain and swelling need evaluation.
If you have not had an injury and not of an age to have degenerative arthritic changes you may need a more systemic evaluation. Primary care physician may be place to start with xrays, blood work and a complete physical exam. If appropriate referral to orthopedic specialist I am sure would be made.

In brief: See Doctor

Dr. Kim Fagan
Dr. Kim Fagan
Dr. Eric Bluman
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Get diagnosed first

There are a number of things that can cause swollen ankles.
This is a very nonspecific symptom. I recommend that someone with pain in these areas should be seen by orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon for a definitive diagnosis so that appropriate treatment can be started. You can find one in your area at www.Aofas.Org.

In brief: Get diagnosed first

Dr. Eric Bluman
Dr. Eric Bluman

In brief: Joint Pain

Arthritic conditions would cause joint pain and swelling similar to what you are describing.
There are many types of arthritis; osteoarthritis, psoriatic, rheumatoid, gout... I would recommend seeing a rheumatologist.

In brief: Joint Pain

Dr. Glenn Aufseeser
Dr. Glenn Aufseeser
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine