My 6 month old has a bulging fontanel. All tests (mri, CT scan, bloodwork, etc) have come back negative. What else should I push for. ?

Dr. Richard Simmons
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: Depends
A bulging fontanel can be normal depending on the position the child is in when it is evaluated.
A crying child who is lying down will almost always have a bulging fontanel. A bulge indicates an increase in pressure - either in the skull itself, or within the superior sagittal sinus (the giant vein which lies just beneath the fontanel). A spinal tap is warranted to check the intracranial pressure.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Richard Simmons
Dr. Richard Simmons
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: Measure csf pressure
The only approach that I can consider is to measure the cerebral spinal fluid pressure in consideration of pseudotumor cerebri.

In brief: Measure csf pressure
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Ask the Doctor....
....Could it be pseudotumor cerebrii ( also called ideopathic increased intracranial pressure )? This is a condition where the pressure inside the brain is increased it may not, i think, show up on the listed tests.
Otherwise i agree with dr. Cunnar's response.

In brief: Ask the Doctor....
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. James Cunnar
In brief: Be patient
Sounds like your physician(s) have aggressively looked for possible causes, specifically, increased spinal fluid.
If your child is developing fine, reaching all of his/her milestones, sometimes the best thing to do is be patient. If anything changes, neurologically or developmentally, let your physician know.

In brief: Be patient
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. Cindy Juster