I've had very thick phlegm for weeks, i can't get it up or swallow. I wake up coughing! it can be green or clear, and antibiotics didn't clear, help?

Dr. Michael Sparacino

In brief: See your doctor

Symptoms like these are best deterimed by a thorough evaluation by your physician.
Based on his/her findings, a treatment plan can be developed to help you.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Michael Sparacino
Dr. Michael Sparacino
Dr. Robert Ringrose
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: No short answer

Has it gotten worse since the antibiotics, if so how much? If it has gotten much worse you may have had a viral bronchitis at first (antibiotics don't help), then after the antibiotics you got a bacterial infection and you may need a different antibiotic if it got a lot better with the antibiotic and is just clear sputum, it may be just viral.
Ask the pharmacist for a Mucinex (guaifenesin) cough drop or syrup.

In brief: No short answer

Dr. Robert Ringrose
Dr. Robert Ringrose
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine